Moving to Chile

Country Guide

Country Guide: Chile

Due to the current coronavirus/COVID-19 situation and restrictions in various countries, the below information may not be accurate. This pandemic is a fluid situation. Check with authorities for local laws and restrictions concerning movements.

Updated: July 23, 2019

Used Household Goods and Personal Effects

Documents Required

  • Copy of passport
  • Non-citizen work visa valid for at least 12 months
  • Bill of lading (OBL) / air waybill (AWB)
  • Packing list
  • Valued inventory
  • Exemption form from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (diplomats)
  • Travel certificate showing inbound and outbound travel dates obtained in Chile (returning citizens)

Specific Information

  • All shipments are subject to physical inspection by Customs and the Agricultural Office (SAG), which may delay clearance.
  • If no exemptions can be applied for new items, household goods are generally assessed 6% duty over cost, insurance, and freight (CIF) value, plus a surcharge of 50% on used goods.
    • There is also a VAT of 19% over cost, insurance, and freight (CIF)
  • The Customs valuation of household goods considers depreciation for use and must be comparable to the value of similar articles in the country of origin.
  • Returning citizens are free of duties and taxes up to 5,000 USD depending on the length of their stay abroad:
    • Between 6 and 12 months: 500 USD FOB
    • Between 1 and 5 years: 3,000 USD FOB
    • More than 5 years: 5,000 USD FOB
    • Only 1% of duty over cost, insurance, and freight value is applied
  • Non-citizens with a temporary residence visa or visa are subject to employment for at least 12 months and may import up to USD 5,000 FOB of used household goods and personal effects without paying duties, only a nominal tax of 1% over cost, insurance, and freight (CIF) value
  • If the visa is still in process, it is possible to clear under-bonded storage at the personal residence.
    • The definitive importation of the goods must be completed within 90 days.
  • Diplomats and international officials are exempt from importation duties and taxes on household goods, in which case an exemption form is needed from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
  • All wood packing and wood items must comply with ISPM 15 standards.
    If there is no previous treatment of wood items, the Agriculture Office may order complete fumigation (wood furniture is not required to have the previous fumigation).
Motor Vehicles

Documents Required

  • Sales contract / commercial invoice
  • Certificate of title
  • Original bill of lading
  • Sworn declaration of the description of the vehicle
  • Cars being shipped from the US to Chile must have a Fumigation Certificate

Specific Information

  • The weight, freight amount of the household goods, including the vehicle must be listed on the original bill of lading.
    • The number of pieces and a description of the car must also be included.
  • The import of new cars is allowed as a normal import paying all applicable duties and taxes.
  • The import of used motorcycles is strictly prohibited.
  • Import of used cars is strictly prohibited, except the following exceptions:
    • Returning citizens that have stayed abroad for over 12 months.
      • All duties and taxes apply (27%)
    • Foreign diplomats and international officials can import automobiles duty and tax-free.
    • Chilean diplomats:
      • Have the option of monetary compensation if they do not import a vehicle.
      • Also may import a new car as long as the owner of the goods pays all duties and taxes.

Documents Required

  • International vaccination certificate (dogs and cats)
  • Veterinary health record
  • Pro-forma invoice

Specific Information

  • There is no quarantine period.
  • Pets may be retrieved from Customs immediately upon arrival.
  • The agent must know in advance the date and flight of arrival to assist in the clearing.

IAM Note: Check with the destination agent prior to shipping other types of pets as some may require additional permits from the Agricultural Office (SAG).

Restricted/Dutiable Items
  • Foodstuffs (only non-perishable food, canned or sealed, and in an amount limited for personal use may be imported)
  • Alcohol (adults over 18 years old may import 2.5 liters of alcohol duty free, including wine; if the amount exceeds 2.5 liters, the owner of the goods must pay duties and taxes of 27% or more)
  • Only sports firearms for hunting may be imported (a special permit must be obtained prior to shipping)


Prohibited Items
  • Drugs
  • Meat
  • Used motorcycles (new motorcycles are permitted)
  • Used cars (unless imported by a returning citizen given he/she meets the same conditions)
  • Used car tires
Consignment Instructions

Recommended: Contact the destination agent to ensure all requirements have been met prior to import, especially for differences regarding air/sea shipments.

Cultural and Other Information

CIA World Factbook Entry for Chile

Wikipedia Entry for Chile