Country Guide: Saint Lucia
Due to the current coronavirus/COVID-19 situation and restrictions in various countries, the below information may not be accurate. This pandemic is a fluid situation. Check with authorities for local laws and restrictions concerning movements.
Updated: May 22, 2017
Used Household Goods and Personal Effects
- Original bill of lading (OBL) / air waybill (AWB)
- Letter from Ministry of Foreign Affairs (diplomats)
- Detailed inventory in English (must include the serial numbers for all electrical devices and appliances)
- A returning national is allowed to enter personal effects (used or new) on the conditions stated below:
- A returning national is a Saint Lucian who has lived abroad continuously for a minimum of 10 years.
- Bicycles are subject to the payment of duties.
- Items may be imported duty free if the following conditions are met:
- They have been in the owner of the goods’ use and possession for more than 12 months.
- They are not intended for sale or exchange.
- They are imported within 3 months of the owner of the goods’ arrival.
- The owner of the goods signs a declaration in the presence of a Custom’s officer.
- A 6% Customs service charge is payable on all imports except those of diplomats and other exempted owners of the goods.
- Title / registration
- Purchase invoice
- One vehicle per person or family is allowed duty and tax free if the vehicle does not exceed the cost, insurance, and freight (CIF) value of USD $30,000.00 (new) and the following conditions are met:
- The person is a returning national accompanied by the vehicle.
- The vehicle arrives within 3 months prior to or after the vehicle.
- The vehicle is purchased in Saint Lucia within 3 months of a return to Saint Lucia.
- The returning national cannot sell, exchange, or dispose of the vehicle within 3 years of importation.
- Motor vehicles designed for use on land or in the water are subject to the payment of duties.
- Vaccination record
- Veterinary health certificate
- Cats, dogs and other pets will be quarantined in the United Kingdom for 6 months prior to importation.
- Pets must be electronically identifiable and possess a valid health certificate with rabies inoculation obtained prior to traveling.
- All conditions must be met or the animal is subject to destruction.
- Contact the destination for specific requirements.
- New furniture and household goods (an original signed commercial invoice is required and subject to duties)
- Arms, ammunition and dangerous goods (require a permit from the Commissioner of Police and are subject to duties)
- Precious metal objects (e.g., jewelry, coins, etc. are subject to duties unless they are part of the household goods shipment)
- Alcohol (40 ounces of whiskey, rum and vodka are permitted)
- Tins and food (are subject to duties)
- Gifts and souvenirs (are subject to duties)
- Plants (a Phytosanitary Certificate is required)
- Wedding trousseaux (is subject to duties)
- Inheritances (is subject to duties)
- Machines, appliances, and spare parts (are subject to duties)
- Medicines, narcotics, drugs and paraphernalia
- Items of the occult, black magic, witchcraft or other similar items
- Products made from endangered species as outlined by CITES
- Counterfeit items
Recommended: Contact the destination agent to ensure all requirements have been met prior to import, especially for differences regarding air / sea shipments.
Cultural and Other Information
CIA World Factbook Entry for Saint Lucia
Wikipedia Entry for Saint Lucia